14 January 2020

FINAL SELF PORTRAIT TRIPTYCH: "MY IDENTITY"

Symbolic Self Portraits by Kavya Balasumabramian
DIRECTIONS. 
1. Read through the items below.
2. Conduct your brainstorm for each section.
3. Decide on the photographable symbols (photographable subject matter) you will use for each of the three photographs.
4. Make your photos (outside of class time).
5. Assemble into triptych & develop/process during our remaining classes.

*The purpose of these items is to help you narrow your idea to symbolism that you will use for each of the three photographs.

**Use this as an opportunity to investigate how you navigate your way through your/our world. This could become a cathartic and valuable project that is an expression of something true and profound about who you are at this moment in time.

INTRODUCTION.

NOTE: If you wish, you may change the three images to be your past self, present self, & future self.

PART 1 - SELF BRAINSTORM.
OBJECTIVE: To explore your inner self in concrete and profound ways.



PART 1: THE ‘SELF’ BRAINSTORM:  Who am I?
Your goal is to explore the essence of your being. Spend time thinking about yourself. Do this when you are alone. Do this when you are around people. Notice how you interact with others, and how they interact with you. What do you notice about your character/thoughts/habits/personality changes/etc.?

List/write/fill-in the objects, places, thoughts, emotions, experiences, dreams, nightmares, fears, loves, etc. that are significant to the essence of who you are. Who are you, and what has contributed - or contributes now – to who you are?  What makes you…you? Finish the statements on the reverse side to get started.

I am…
I am (two special traits or physical characteristics)…
I wonder about…
I hear, in my thoughts…
In the best of times I see myself as...
When struggling, I see myself as…
I long for ‘this’ (an actual something/feeling/state of being/etc.)…
Sometimes, I pretend…
In the morning, I feel…
At night, I feel…
I worry about…
I cry about…
About life, I understand this to be true…
I say this a lot…
I think this a lot…
I (day)dream this…
When I feel backwards/upside down, I am…
I am hopeful for…
I find it funny when…
My favorite activity is…
I love to…

The most important person/people/objects/things to me are…


PART 2 - SYMBOLISM BRAINSTORM. 
OBJECTIVE: To find SYMBOLS (things like objects, places, colors, clothing, gestures, times of day, etc.)

  



IDEAS FOR IDENTITY SYMBOLISM.
Family, gender, age, ethnic background, religious beliefs, political beliefs, associations, geographic location, travel, nature, future career, sports, activities, hobbies, animals, music, art...



ASSEMBLING YOUR TRIPTYCH.


TEMPLATE SIZE: